A good quality business website is essential for promoting services and connecting with customers. WordPress is one of the most popular and versatile options to consider when designing a site, or having it designed for you.
Although it originally launched as a blogging site, WordPress now has lots to offer potential users. There are several reasons why businesses should opt to use WordPress when creating their website.
Benefits of Using WordPress
There are numerous benefits to choosing WordPress to power your website:
- Ease of use and installation (WordPress offers a one-click installation)
- Mobile-friendly themes (WordPress also offers plugins if the theme you want isn’t mobile friendly)
- Users have total control over their page
- Easy-to-use blogging
WordPress even includes an updating system that is built-in, letting you know when updates are available for you, and a plugin option to backup your data elsewhere, keeping it safe.
Types of Websites WordPress Can Create
WordPress can cater to a variety of business needs. Some of the types of sites that can be built using WordPress include:
- Business websites (themes and options help create extremely professional looking sites)
- Business directories
- Job boards (perfect for businesses wanting to delegate tasks to specific employees while staying organized)
- Portfolios (if your business includes showcasing products you provide, this option is perfect)
Not only does WordPress itself have several thousand plugins and themes available, but there are third-party sources where you can find whatever it is you might be looking for.
Security on WordPress
Website security is an important part of keeping your business running smoothly. You can find WordPress security guides online, but here are some basic tips to get started:
- Make sure your WordPress software is updated regularly
- Be selective about who’s given permission to access your account
- Choose a good background host (providers such as WPEngine keep busy behind the scene to protect your data)
- Make sure you’ve got a backup plugin to store important data
- Enable your computer’s firewall for web applications
- Use a Secure Sockets Layer, or SSL, that encrypts whatever is transferred between a user browser and your site
- Rename your user (the default “Admin” can be changed to make it more difficult for hackers to access your datas)
WordPress and SEO
You’ll be pleased to learn that Google has an easy time crawling sites built using WordPress. Plugins that assist search engine optimization can also be downloaded.
Here are a few of the top plugins to consider when boosting SEO:
- SEO SQUIRRLY
- SEO Optimized Images
- SEO Internal Links
- WP Touch Mobile Plugin
- The SEO Framework
WordPress doesn’t just make it easy to create the site you want and keep it running, but it also helps businesses create greater visibility, and network with as many potential customers as possible.
You can also hire a good web designer to help you build the perfect site for you and your business.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Doug Hay & Associates and a clickable link back to this page.